Sunday 1 February 2009

Two ventures into the deepest, starkest realms of the supernatural

One of the benefits of working in a local history library (and you have to grab ’em where you can) is that I often come across interesting and funny titbits in the line of duty – some of which end up on my other blog, Musty Moments. Today, whilst searching a 1964 edition of the Yorkshire Evening Post, my eye was naturally drawn to this ad:



What a different world it seems, 40 years ago, when adverts like this would’ve been appearing in the local paper! Here’s a photo (from 1970) of the Leeds ABC cinema where this programme originally played. It closed in 1999 and was finally demolished last year:



It looks like The Gorgon and The Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb were an official Hammer double bill, if this poster I found online is anything to go by:



And, interestingly enough, the two films can still be found together on DVD today:



Now all I need to do is watch them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I had no idea you had another blog! It looks amazing! How do you do it all?

This is really cool. I love finding old artwork for movies, it's akin to visiting my favorite used bookstores and coming across that yellowed paperback I just can't live without!