Tuesday 23 September 2008

MythBusting

So I’m just minding my own business at my nightly slumber party, making s’mores and playing with my ouija board (which is actually quite difficult to do simultaneously) when a friend says to me, “Hey Ross, have you heard the story of Dead Mary?”

“Dead Mary?” says I through a mouthful of melted marshmallow and ouija board splinters (told you it was difficult). “Don’t you mean Bloody Mary, the scary old ghost-woman who appears if you say her name five times in front of a mirror... and who then proceeds to - gasp! - kill you?”

“No,” replies said nameless friend, “I mean Dead Mary, the dreadful movie that appears if you walk into a video shop and say the words ‘Dead Mary’ once in front of a store clerk... and which then proceeds to - gasp! - suck out your very soul and take a big poop on it for 103 minutes.”

“Gosh-a-lordy!” I exclaim. “That sounds terrifying. What a disturbing urban legend. Is it true?”

And, dear friends, I'm sorry to report that it was true.


* If you or any member of your family have been affected by any of the issues discussed in this post, head on over to Amanda By Night’s Made for TV Mayhem blog and read her wonderful list of the Top 10 TV movies of the 70s... It's a sure-fire cure-all for all that ails ye!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I just adore you!

I come by here everyday just because this place makes me smile so much and then after another great post you mention my blog... again. You are the kindest person ever. Thank you!

Ross Horsley said...

Well, I'd like to say I was being kind but the simple fact is that your blog is essential reading - and that goes double for the 70s telemovies top 10! A similar list for the 80s/90s might be more difficult to compile (the golden age being over and all) but I'd love to hear your suggestions...

Stacie Ponder said...

Ross! Can you drop me an email? I don't have yours...

stacieponder@gmail.com

Thanks!!

Fox said...

“I mean Dead Mary, the dreadful movie that appears if you walk into a video shop and say the words ‘Dead Mary’ once in front of a store clerk... and which then proceeds to - gasp! - suck out your very soul and take a big poop on it for 103 minutes.”

HaHa... well done! Or, well done to your "friend" that is.

And don't you need to spin in front of the mirror for Mary to show up???

Anonymous said...

Ross, I am planning on doing a list of 80s movies. But you're so right about the 90s. That might be tough but a challenge, so I might research it.

Made for TV really changed, didn't it? I mean, I adore Lifetime, but you know, a good, traditional thriller would be nice too! If nothing else, I always have Spring Break Shark Attack!!! :)